Links to resources that helped heal my chronic pain and illness:
- Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Howard Schubiner.
- My experience: Reading this book, Unlearn Your Pain, and watching lectures given by Dr. Schubiner were the main resources I used to heal from over twenty years of chronic pain. He has a Mind Body program on his website which goes through similar material found in the book. The online program includes videos, forums, and personal help from Dr. Schubiner. I chose to use the book instead, but I think the online program would also be very helpful.
- Dr. Schubiner’s lectures on Mind Body Syndrome.
- My experience: watching this four part series of lectures was a key part of healing from my chronic pain.
- How Mind Body Syndrome Develops, (from unlearnyourpain.com website)
- The Reign of Pain, TED style lecture in 2017 by Dr. Schubiner, a great explanation and summary of Mind Body Syndrome.
- Stories of people healed from Fibromyalgia on Dr. Schubiner’s website.
- TED Talk: Lorimer Moseley – “Why Things Hurt”, 2011
- My experience: this was the first video I watched when healing from MBS. It was invaluable for me to see how pain originates in the brain and the power the mind has over the body. This video helped me believe what at first felt so unbelievable to me: that my pain could be rooted in traumatic emotions and not in physical illness.
- 20/20 Segment-1999; Story of Dr. John Sarno’s work in healing chronic back pain.
- My experience: this 20/20 program was also one of the videos I watched when first healing from MBS. The personal stories this program follows were key for me in believing that I could actually start to tell my pain ‘no’.
More Helpful Links for Healing Chronic Illness
- The Tension Myositis Syndrome Wiki (aka Mind Body Syndrome)
- The Curable App
- App: https://www.curablehealth.com/
- Podcast: https://www.curablehealth.com/podcast
- My experience: This podcast has helped me to continue on my healing path from MBS. Although I’ve not used the Curable App, if I was still in chronic pain today, I would use it without hesitation. The same methods that Dr. Schubiner uses are used through this app, but it seems to be able to personalize the healing path needed for each individual.
- 3-Minute Pain Primer: An animated short produced by Alan Gordon that explains the role of the brain in pain via learned neural pathways.
- Tame the Beast: 5-minute animated short on understanding pain by Lorimer Moseley, a chronic pain researcher.
- All the Rage-2017- Documentary on Dr. John Sarno’s mind body work in healing back pain (rental, purchase, or come watch it with me, I own it!)
- This Might Hurt Documentary to be released in 2019 (follow link for trailer), film following patients in Dr Schubiner’s mind body program.
- Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Howard Schubiner– Book/Workbook to help heal pain and other Mind-Body symptoms. 2016
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Dr. Bessel van der Kolk.
- The Mindbody Prescription by Dr. John Sarno, 1999.
- Hidden From View: A textbook for professionals on the treatment of psychophysiologic disorders, by Dr. Howard Schubiner.
- Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection by Dr. John Sarno, 1991